2009 Competitive Goal Events:

  • *Greenbriar Marathon-4/09
  • *Mohican 100-5/09
  • *Massanutten XXC-6/09
  • *Tour d Burg-7/09
  • *Wilderness 101-8/09
  • *Shenandoah 100-9/09
  • *Revenge of the Rattlesnake-9/09
  • *2009 LaRuta-Costa Rica-11/09

Sunday, September 13, 2009

2009 Roaring Run/Strongland Races

This is a local area summer event ran by the Strongland Chamber of Commerce with RR MTB at Apollo trails followed the next day by the RR Road Race near Lower Burrell. Event info & results are at:
http://www.strongland.org/bikerace.html

RR MTB:
Usually this two lap rocky, tight trail race is a hoot & most likely you can bet you will be up against local RR rider extraordinaire Liz M. She flies through these trails faster than a bat with dead on radar. Last year, I felt good here, so good that I miracleously got ahead of her until almost the 1/2 way point.....where I screwed up and flatted & then double flatted as I watched her coast off to yet another RR victory:-(
So, this year, I am not feeling quite so technical savvy and somehow my usual love of climbing is dwindling, yet it's me & her once again. The start said it all for me, after the open wide sprint in which the pack of guys drops me like a hot potatoe, I usually starting catching and easily passing several in the first trail section & then first short rocky climb. As soon as I reached the climb this year, there was no one to pass! I could not believe it, this was a bad sign! I attempted to hoof up the hill in my usual manner, but was not making progress....I looked up to see Liz was making it up pretty darn well and took off into the rocky bliss before I even reached the top this year.

I keep trying but don't have it. I can only pedal to finish today & really just prayed to not wreck or get lapped!! I finished this year with my slowest ever final time at this race. Bummer, Liz gets the trophy.....AGAIN:-(

RR Road:
So I have some doubts on doing the course this year, and I do it on full-on MTB as there is actually a class for it here. The course changes a lot, so I checked it out previously and have to say, I had some concerns about it for safety, so I figure the MTB will keep me out of close riding with others & I can keep an eye on traffic easier that way too. I ride the 10 miles to the start from my house, get lined up with the mass start pack, and before you know it we are mass flailing down an initial 'S' shaped curve only minutes in to the race. I feel nervous and ahead of me I see some commotion. As I get closer it seems like trouble as the pack is moving sideways & people are yelling. Suddenly some inpatient riders pass me by going far into the oncoming lane, only to careen with some stopped traffic around the bend, which has already brought down a few previous riders.
I hear horrible crash sounds, people now screaming, I hear bikes collide behind me, more people screaming, I see someone careen under the front end of a car, it's all I can do to peel my eyes away and hold my bike steady in the jumble. I am pretty sure it's only a few seconds before it will be my turn to hit pavement. I hear a voice say to me 'just keep moving, keep up your pace, don't slow down'.....it was my rider friend Brad right beside me. This kept me a little calm and we coasted out of the mess together.
Like most people I wanted to stop and go back, see what happened, who got hurt, etc. But I realize Emergency people will be there to tackle everything & really I cannot do anything. Even so, I feel a gut wrenching twinge as I ride on, most race-like energy just sucked away. I guess my bike felt the same way, as just moments later I flatted. I fixed it, and rode out the course, but was the back of the pack alone after this happened. I rode, got the exercise, and was really cautious on the rest of the course about traffic!
I stayed for awards to watch all the local peeps get their overall or age cat awards. The Global Ride Wmn Team did well, as Nina & Liz took off right from the start! Then I packed up the backpack & rode home, still counting my blessings to come through the road clump unscathed but feeling very unsure about racing on the road again.

No comments: