2009 Competitive Goal Events:

  • *Greenbriar Marathon-4/09
  • *Mohican 100-5/09
  • *Massanutten XXC-6/09
  • *Tour d Burg-7/09
  • *Wilderness 101-8/09
  • *Shenandoah 100-9/09
  • *Revenge of the Rattlesnake-9/09
  • *2009 LaRuta-Costa Rica-11/09

Friday, December 11, 2009

Dirt Rag XX Punk Bike Enduro 2009

I think this year would be like my 6th time to go to the annual Punk Bike, not sure. Either way, it's close to home, local trails, always cold, always muddy, & always a fun day on your bike! This year was the XX anniversary & Dirt Rag overcame a major glitch with the usual start/end not being available & I think ended up finding an even cooler rental building right in Emmerling Park. Even closer to home for me so I'm not complaining! The course was shortened overall, and kept to a smaller area of trails, but looped around pretty well to get some good riding sections in.


So I decide to dress all crazy, but in my overzealous costumeness, I get all mixed up. Colors aren't matching (I AM colorblind, remember?), and you really can't tell what the heck I am! The idea was that a small group of other girls my own age (you know, 'Cougar'-age) display our proudness for being so well middle aged. Each was a 'Cougar', but with personalities, mine was of a Dominatrix. Yeah, that went together real great! Well, I need to keep in mind next time.....'Keep it Simple, Stupid' & it will probably be better! Anyway, here are three of us that got the theme together:

(Me, Kim B., & Elizabeth L. dressed up)

So, EVERY year I say I am not even getting sweaty to just stand around between the stages and every year I do it anyway. This year included, although I sat out 3 stages, I attempted to get a good start at the rest and picked my way through the mud without any major damages. Sharon L. came out this year, and MAN she was goin' for the points! Until a horrible run in with a divet:


(Sharon's bike with bent rigid fork & tacoed wheel)

She got a loaner and was back in the game but missed a few too many stages in the downtime for overall points, otherwise I am pretty darn sure whe would have cinched it this year!

Unlike the far past, JP gets dressed up nowdays too. But like the past, he also is really looking forward to carrying as much alcohol in his backpack as possible & making sure he finishes all of it before the end of the ride. This year he really also wanted to have a GREEN face for some reason, I heard about the green face for weeks. So, he accomplished his goals & here is what he came up with, HULK, whose growling sounds got louder & wipeouts became common as the backpack got lighter(!):

(JP as the HULK)

Thanks for another year of putting on a fun event in the burgh!
Dirt Rag write up, pics & vids of 2009 Punk Bike:
http://www.dirtragmag.com/blogarific/punk-bike-enduro-xx-edition

No comments: