2009 Competitive Goal Events:

  • *Greenbriar Marathon-4/09
  • *Mohican 100-5/09
  • *Massanutten XXC-6/09
  • *Tour d Burg-7/09
  • *Wilderness 101-8/09
  • *Shenandoah 100-9/09
  • *Revenge of the Rattlesnake-9/09
  • *2009 LaRuta-Costa Rica-11/09

Monday, December 7, 2009

La Ruta Day #3

Arriving at the start, the Giant locals come through with the wheel! I am SO glad & keep bowing to them because I can't say anything they understand. In the back of my mind I know anything could go wrong with a borrowed wheel, but at least I have a chance.
Day #3 is not so intimidating on the elevation chart as Day 1 or 2. Although we climb lots and go from 1200m to 3000m total with some false downs in it, the day is basic up a live volcanoe (Irazu) via some double track and then ongoing forever switchback pavement. It is RAINING. RAIN gets harder and a little cooler as we near the top. Everyone stops to put on jackets, etc. I have a jersey and arm warmers and only pull the arm warmers up on the false downs. At checkpoint 1, I see most all the midpack girls taking a huge rest, I wonder why? I figure to just keep going I feel good so I head up the start of the long road stuff first, just figuring they would all catch up. I get to the top, where the terrain is known to change drastically and only 1 girl in sight. It is windy RAIN, I pocket some sandwiches, lube a little, and tear off for what I know is going to be a super bumpy slick rock long descent. The volunteers all attempt to hold me up for several moments, claiming it will get colder on the descent and I NEED my jacket on. Finally I get across to them that I have one in my pack, but if it is not colder than now I don't need it. Finally they get it and let me continue! It's like freakin 55. Down the other side of the volcanoe is all old volcanoe rocks everywhere, yet it is like a road to them here. It's wide, the rocks are big and covered in mud but you can really pick a line and just keep bumping downward. I get 'out of control' fast & just keep bouncing along, don't see any girls the entire time and pass a lot of guys walking. I almost collide with freerange cattle, horses, and chickens. I hit the bottom checkpoint thanking god for no flats or chain issues & onto the continuing descent to town on fast smooth wet pavement. The RAIN is so hard I can barely see but keep going. I finish ok this day and this was a super fun day!

This day ends in a country club, JP is there all cleaned up & helped me get everything done and ready for the shuttle on time back to our inner city mountain town hotel. It is still POURING RAIN. Once again, we prepare our damp duffle bag items for the next & final day.

No comments: